Caving in Budapest – 3, 5 hours
Crawling, climbing, extreme fun in a unique setting!
Budapest’s hot springs have left a huge underground caving system which can be explored through climbing and crawling!
Highlights and Themes
- Budapest's natural cave system
- Unique and fun tour experience
- Geological history of the region
Current prices and availabilities are published on our online reservation system.online booking
Important: Each participant must wear suitable, closed-toe sports shoes for this tour - flip flops, high heels and sandals are not suitable and guests will forfeit their participations without refund. Please make sure you have valid transport pass or 4 public transport tickets per person with you!
Inclusions: Caving entry fee, professional caving guide for the tour, use of helmet and lamp, use of overall suit.
Exclusions: Public transport costs - guests should have a valid public transport pass, 4 tickets or money available to buy 4 transport tickets. No food or drink is provided but available.
Please check available dates and times on our online reservation system.
Nyugati tér bus station 26 bus stop.
Please make sure you have valid transport pass or 4 public transport tickets per person with you!
Duration: 3,5 hours + travel time
Hungary’s capital, Budapest, is famous for its hot springs. Many people visit Hungary’s famous thermal baths, but only a few know that the hot water rushing up from deep underground created something else too. In the limestone mountains under Budapest, the heated water formed a huge cave system which is thought to be more than 100 km long. The spas and caves of Budapest are planned to be declared part of the UNESCO World Heritage. The longest cave of Budapest is the 20.1 km long Pál-völgyi-Mátyás-hegyi cave system located in the Duna-Ipoly National Park. It is a real multi-level labyrinth system with most of its chambers under the residential districts of Budapest.
If you aren’t claustrophobic you can apply for our regularly scheduled cave tours which are guided by qualified caving guides. During the 2.5-3 hrs long tours you will often have to climb on walls and crawl through narrow passages so you have to be prepared for adventure.
The tours lead though natural parts of the cave, with the supervision of professional caving guides. All the necessary equipment - overall, helmet, light - is provided. You can change your clothes in changing rooms. Though one has to crawl, climb, scramble or creep many times during the tour, no previous experience in caving is needed.
Important notice: Due to insurance reasons this tour is not suitable for guests under the age of 13 and over the age of 50.
Conclusion point: At the caves but help is give for directions back to the center of the city via bus or taxi service. (Not included in tour fee)
Our walking tours are small personal groups and generally do not have more than 15 participants, making them interactive and personal and giving you plenty of chances to ask questions and get to know your guide plus hit them up for local tips of where to go and what else to do.
- Student rate will require a valid student ID card when joining the tour.
- Due to insurance reasons this tour is not suitable for guests under the age of 13 and over the age of 50.
- Participants will need to be fit for light continuous climbing, crawling and walking, for up to 2 hours.
- Each participant must wear suitable, closed-toe sports shoes for this tour - flip flops, high heels and sandals are not suitable and guests will forfeit their participations without refund.
- Guests must sign a waiver form to participate on this tour.
- Guest should dress for 16-18°C and have a warm pullover. Caving overalls are provided on this tour.
- Not responsible for accidents on the tour. Tour guides are qualified members of the Hungarian caving association.
- Public transport costs - guests should have a valid public transport pass, 4 tickets or money available to buy 4 transport tickets.
- Tour goes in all weather conditions so please dress appropriately. Supplier not responsible for unforeseen delays or accidents.
- Programs cancelled within 72 hours of travel date incur 100% cancellation penalty where no refunds are given. No show or non-participation on tour/program will not be refunded.